Wedding Requirement for BVI
British Virgin Islands
British Virgin Islands Travel Guide british virgin islands hotels Britsh Virgin Islands car rentals, bvi ferry, virgin islands watertaxi British Virgin Islands Restaurant Dining British Virgin Islands Entertainment events British Virgin Islands Shopping British Virgin islands offshore - jobs
Home >>Romantic BVI >>Legal Requirement
bvi water taxi
Virgin Gorda Car Rental

Legal Requirement For Marriage in the British Virgin Islands

Upon arrival in the Virgin Islands you can apply for a marriage license at the Attorney General's Office, which is situated at the Alvin Christopher Building in Road Town, Tortola. The Attorney Generals Office is open Monday through Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm. A special marriage licence takes three (3) working days to Process. Once the Governor has granted a license, it remains valid for three (3) months from the date it is signed.

At the Attorney General's Office you will be required:

  • To present a US$110 postage stamp (purchased from the Post Office) for a special Licence. To qualify for a special licence, you must be present at the time of application and plan to be a resident/present in the Virgin Islands for at least three days.

  • To present US$50 postage stamp (purchased from the Post Office) for an ordinary Licence, if you been resident in the Virgin Islands for 15 days or more.

  • To show proof of your identities and your resident status i.e. the day you arrived in the Virgin Islands (via your passport).

  • To show proof of marital status (including certified copies of decree(s) Absolute for divorced spouse or Death Certificate(s) of Deceased spouse).

  • To have two witnesses to witness (and to sign) your application for the licence. Please note that these two witnesses need not be the same two witnesses who are present at your Marriage Ceremony.

Also, please note that you always request persons in the Virgin Islands to be witnesses at the Attorney General's Office and at your marriage ceremony.

Having applied for the licence, you should then go to the Registrar-General's Office to schedule an appointment for the date and time you propose to be married. If you have telephoned your appointment from abroad, you will need to confirm it at the Registrar-General's Office at this time.

The Registrar-General's Office is situated on Wickham's Cay, Road Town, Upstairs of Burhym Electrical Services, The Registrar General's Office is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday Through Friday.





Copyright © 2007 - 2012 VACATION (B.V.I.) LTD. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Advertise with Us | Credits | Sitemap